Tuesday, June 24, 2008

That Sinking Feeling

Sunday evening, as Macy and I were returning home from having dinner with some friends, we noticed a Sheriff's car at the end of our street. As we tried to turn down our street we were unable to because it was filled with Fire Trucks, lots of other emergency vehicles and lots of emergency personnel. That's when the sinking feeling started.

I parked the car in a friend's driveway, left Macy in the car and stated walking down the street toward our house, praying that all the activity was not going to be because our house had caught on fire. The sinking feeling continued.

After walking about 40 feet, it appeared that it was the house across the street diagonally from our house. As I got closer, that was in fact the case. I called Macy and told her to walk on down. We were very relieved to discover our house was fine, but were saddened about our neighbors.

So what happened? The house that caught on fire had been struck by lightning. Fortunately it did not burn down, but it did have a lot damage. Some good news, the owners of this house only live in it for a couple of months a year. This is not their primary home.

It did remind me, once again, how temporal our stuff really is. We can lose it all in a moment. And I don't need to put my confidence in my house or things...but in God alone.

No comments: