Sunday, July 13, 2008

Crazy

Yesterday I saw the craziest thing - a duck chasing an alligator!

That's right. We spotted about a 5 foot alligator in the lake behind our house this weekend. He begin to swim across the lake towards our house. At the same time I was watching the gator, I also spotted a duck (common moorhen) with her 3 babies (probably more like teenagers). As the gator got closer to land, momma duck started squawking and squawking.

The gator disappeared underwater about 30 feet from the shore and then re-appeared about 7 feet from the shore. It was at that time that the gator started to swim parallel with the shore line and from the shore the duck started chasing after the gator, still squawking at the top of her lungs. Macy then spotted one of momma's little ducks in the reeds. The gator swam right past the little duck, probably trying to get away from one very loud mouth and persistent momma duck. Momma kept going out of our sight, chasing after the gator. That's one brave and very crazy duck!

I never thought I would see a duck chase a gator! Crazy.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Mark, several days ago your mother and I were eating and just happened to look out the window in the back yard and witnessed a very unusual sight. There were several squirrels feeding around the bird feeder when one of the stray neighborhood cats attacked one of the squirrels. Almost instantly, another squirrel attacked the cat, at which time it let go of the squirrel it was holding in its mouth,and left quickly. As aggravated as I sometimes get at the squirrels for eating the food I put out for the birds; as a result of watching those two squirrels in action, I gained a new appreciation for squirrels. I don't get quite as aggraveted at them as I used to.

Anyway, I thought this was somewhat similiar to what you saw with the duck and the gator.

Love you,

Dad