Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The "Staycation"

Last week I took off for what has become our annual anniversary week vacation. However, this year was a little different...we didn't go anywhere. We stayed home. This is becoming known as the "staycation."

Urban Dictionary defines staycation as "a vacation that is spent at one's home enjoying all that home and one's home environ have to offer." First, let me say there are several positives to the staycation...
  • No time spent (wasted) traveling
  • Little to no travel cost (usually some cost unless all you do is sit in your house)
  • No travel headaches or stress
  • No packing and unpacking
  • No hotel bills
But there are also some downsides to the staycation. And while I loved our staycation last week, for me, it's not quite the same as "getting away." I ended up doing some work around the house (yard work in very hot and humid conditions) that I would not have done if we had been away. And the only other negative for me was it didn't have the feel of getting away and some of the excitement that comes with that.

But Macy and I had a great time together last week and we used some of the money we saved to try out several new restaurants in the area. I'll post about some of those later.

Bottom line: A "staycation" can be a cost-saving alternative for a fun vacation. Just be careful and try not to do too much work.

No comments: