Saturday, November 29, 2008

Running the Hills

This past week my running routine was altered by the terrain. Instead of the usual flat ground I typically run on, I was challenged by the gentle sloping hills of north Florida. Now, these were not real hills, just inclines I was not use to, therefore making my running more difficult. And believe me, if you're not use to it, hills can suck it out of you. But something interesting happened when I ran this morning back here in flat, southwest Florida...my time was much faster! The hills stretched my leg muscles and made them stronger.

Our faith is like this. If you think of your faith as a muscle, it too has to be stretched to grow. The struggle of going up a hill in life can be just what we need to become more dependent on God and less on us. It is in the storms (hills) of life we grow the most. So next time you face a hill, don't automatically think avoidance is your best option. Ask God how He is about to grow you and how your faith can be deepened as you run the hill. Remember, running the hills can stretch and strengthen your muscles and your faith.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

I love this comparison! That is so true about our hills growing us in the Lord! Thanks for the challenge, and also- congrats on your running time! You've done a great job blogging about your vacation, and the pictures have turned out so nice! Thanks for including us in your trip blog, and we are also thankful for you!