Saturday, October 27, 2007

Exceeding Expectations

I love it when something or someone exceeds my expectations.

I experienced this when one of the lenses on my DSLR camera broke when it was dropped. I sent it back to Nikon to be repaired. In less than 2 weeks I received the repaired lens back, free of charge. The warranty covered it.

I experience this when the lens on a pair of Bolle sunglasses I owned became distorted from some pool water getting on them. I sent them back to Bolle and received a new pair! My expectations were exceeded.

The general expectations in our culture today are, you're lucky if you get what you deserve. But Jesus challenges this notion in a big way. As I have been preparing to teach this Sunday from Matthew 5:38-48, Jesus challenges the popular culture by saying his disciples should exceed the normal expectations. How?
  • By not being vengeful and demanding our rights (turning the other cheek, going the second mile, etc...).
  • By loving even those who are very hard to love (loving and praying for my enemies).
This is where it gets tough for me. Am I exceeding the expectations of those around me? Or am I more concerned about getting my way? Am I willing to give up my rights or love the person I can't stand? This is one way I can show the love of God - by exceeding expectations.

Question: Are you exceeding anyone's expectations?

This is going to be one of those lessons where I am so personally challenged. I can't wait for Sunday morning!

No comments: