Friday, May 18, 2007

How Do You Get Your Blog?

What are you using right now to read this blog post? Are you coming directly to my site? Did you receive this via an email? Or are you using what's called a blog reader or news reader? I hope you are using a news reader of some type. These are handy applets that allow you to monitor your favorite blogs and be notified when anything new has been published. It's the best way to enjoy the blogosphere.

(If you already subscribe to blogs through a reader, then you're done with today's post.)

So, where do get one of these readers? Glad you asked. The one I use is called Google Reader. It's free, like most readers, and is very easy to learn to use. Instead of listing other popular readers, simply click here to do your own research. Some of the readers reviewed here are free and others have a cost associated with them.

But back to the news reader and how to use it. Let's assume that you decide to use Google Reader. Click here to go to the Google Reader site. The first thing you will need to do is set up an account with Google (you probably already have one with them). After you set up the account you are ready to start telling the reader what blogs you want to subscribe to. The easiest way to subscribe to a blog is to go to your favorite blog and click on the "subscribe to" button on the blog site. Most blogs all have this on their site. On my site you'll see it on the right hand column and it says "Subscribe in a reader." You simply click on this and you're set. Google Reader will give you one other step, you choose between Google News and Google Reader. Simply click on Google Reader and you're set to go.

Now the cool part starts. Simply open Google Reader every day and see which of your favorite blogs have new postings. And, you can read the blog posts straight from the reader. You don't even have to go to the blog's web page! Pretty cool!

So get out there and start reading more blogs. And let me know about your favorite ones.

Thanks to Vanessa for sharing her PF Chang's experience on my last post. Anyone else been to the new Ft Myers Chang's?

3 comments:

Rob and Becky said...

News Readers are cool, agreed, and I do use them. I am a google lover (can you say free), having said that, for feeds I prefer Internet Explorer. Again, having said that, I actually don't use feeds that much. Another idea I have used is to add the rss feeds to my.yahoo page. But, for now, I have just added each blog to my "favorites" in IE. This way it is easier to comment (since you can't via a reader).

I haven't been to changs, but I can't wait!

erica said...

i love blogs. it is now my favorite past-time. i know, i need to get a life. but, i am all about getting better every day and i have found some great ideas/stories that challenge me and i love it. blogs that i read daily... perry noble dot com, 268blog, tony morgan-one of the simply strategic guys, leading smart-tim stevens, pastor steven furtick and corey mann. the best blogs ever are.... mark my words, the mind of malloy, triplesteven and jeremy emory. (i do have an eval coming up this month) i am thrilled the mbc has entered the blogosphere. maybe one day i may jump in and join you.

Mark B said...

Rob - You're right, the downside to a reader is you cannot post comments through it, as far as I know. Does anyone know of a reader where you can post from it???? Most blogs I'm looking at I am not going to be posting, so its not that big a deal for me. It's still the fastest way to consume large portions of the blog buffet.

Erica - Thanks for the recommendations for other good blogs. I'm looking forward to checking some of those out later today.