Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Motivation

What motivates you?

I had a great run this past Saturday, except I lost motivation near the end. The reason: I pressed the wrong button on my watch. Instead of hitting the lap button at the 2 mile mark, I hit the end stop button. So, when I glanced down at my watch at the 2 and a half mark, I saw the same time I had seen at the 2 mile mark. Now here's the really interesting part. At the 2 mile mark I was on a personal best pace. I ran the first mile in 7:30 and the second mile in 7:46. But knowing I would never know exactly what my 3 mile time would be, I begin to fade and ended up walking the last little bit.

I knew timing my runs motivated me some, but I did not realize how much. I begin to think of other things I do, and the motivation behind them. I sometime find my self more motivated by the externals - appearances and approvals. Then it hit me - this is exactly what Jesus was teaching about throughout the Sermon on the Mount. It's not about what's on the outside, it's a heart matter. Am I motivated to live in right relationship with God or am I more concerned about what others think about me? What is motivating you right now?

Thought: Success is being used by God for His glory.

No comments: