Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A Ton of Sweat

The summer season for running is teaching me several things about myself, both in running and life.

First, I can sweat a lot! I had no idea I could get that much liquid to come out of my skin. Not sure what my massive sweating is teaching me about running or life, just an observation.

Second, really good times are harder to come by in the heat of SW Florida during the summer. It was pretty easy improving my times through the winter and spring. But not so easy now. Much more difficult in the tropical heat. Sometimes life also brings the heat, and our pace has to slow a little and we may even get frustrated because we don't see improvement. God has been teaching me a lot this past year about how I handle difficult situations (heat) and how I am able to grow through them.

Third, I can't prove this yet, but, I think in being faithful to keep running in the heat of summer I am going to see some awesome improvements in my times when the cooler weather gets here. You see, we build stamina and strength during the heat or tough times. In fact, we will always experience more spiritual growth in the heat then in the cool times. Keep running (physically and spiritually), no matter what season of life you are in!

Fourth, I sure am looking forward to a little cooler weather. My selfish desire for cooler weather for running is no different than my desire to move as quickly through the difficult times as well. But maybe God is reminding me not to get in hurry, but to remain contented wherever I find myself. Can I find contentment in every season of life? Remember, God is good - ALL the time!

How are you handling the heat of summer and the heat of life? Keep running and don't worry about the sweat - it's all part of the growth process.

1 comment:

erica said...

i really enjoyed this post! thanks!