Monday, July 2, 2007

Simply the Web

What makes a really great church web site?

I had this discussion over lunch with someone on our staff today. And you know, this is really a very interesting question, because your answer, in part, is going to be determined on who you think the site is for. Do you want to focus it on the person you have yet to reach (marketing and outreach) or do you want it designed for your membership (communication and resources)? Or, can you accomplish both?

I don't have the answer, but I'm looking forward to the discussion in the days ahead as McGregor looks at totally redoing our web site. I do think that "simple" has to be a high value today in any effective site. We can learn a little something from Apple and their incredible success at doing things "simple." I also think you can target both of the above groups by simplifying your home page and allowing easy access for members and guests to get the information and resources they need.

I also think there is a need to provide for "community" within a church's site. Again, not sure exactly how this would play out, but it is definitely one of the hottest trends on the web today. (Think MySpace and Facebook.) I think there are tons of possibilities here.

What would you like to be able to do with your church's web site? Let me know. I would love to hear your ideas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that "simple" it's the way to go at least for the main page. I also agree that the website has to be both marketing and outreach and for membership. We don't want either group to feel like we are separating them from each other. I think we could accomplish both. If you guys needs help with suggestion please let me know, I would love to help in that.
carlos